Sunday, March 20, 2011

Holi!

App kaise hein? That is "how are you" in Hindi. I'm working on learning the language:). I have been super busy in the past week! The culture here is so radically different from America. It's so awesome! The food is great and flavorful. The people are so friendly. If you are going somewhere and need directions, you can ask anyone. There is a pretty good chance that they will know where the place is, but if they don't know they will probably find someone who does. The dust and pollution isn't as bad as I thought it would be. We live down from the road level where the air is cooler and cleaner. If you are on our roof, you are about road level, which is pretty neat! Now I'm going to tell you guys about the Indian festival that we started celebrating last night. It's called Holi. Once upon a time the festival had religious roots, but now most people just enjoy the food, sweets, and a game called Colors. Last night we went to a bonfire in our society that kinda kicked off Holi. This morning we had breakfast with everyone in the society. Then we played Colors. Colors is a game played during Holi that consists of colored powder, water, and fun! First, you have to buy colors and water guns. You can also get water balloons. Almost every store on the street has those things before and during Holi. When you play colors, you throw powder on people before or after spraying them with water. Everyone goes crazy and has a lot of fun! After you play you go and take a shower. A good thing to do before playing is to coat your body from head to toe in coconut oil. This makes the colors wash off easily. Holi is a very popular and fun Indian festival! Another thing I want to tell you guys about before I go are our bug zappers. We got these tennis raquet looking things that kill bugs. Once you see a bug, you hold down the button and it puts electric charge into the wire mesh of the raquet. 2500 volts of electricity goes through the bug when it touches the wire. It's so much fun to do! Our house is now almost bug free. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Andy! I love your blog and keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle BreedloveMarch 24, 2011 at 5:34 AM

    I love the blogs....so interesting....really enjoy reading about all of your exciting adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting...